Skip to main content
General Library Rules
- Mobile phones should be switched to silent or off mode. Only texting is allowed.
- Eating, drinking and smoking are not permitted in the library.
- Only food and drinks purchased from the cafe may be consumed within the LearningHub area.
- Mutilation and theft of library materials are serious offences. Appropriate action will be taken against offenders.
- All library users should dress appropriately and conduct themselves with decorum.
- Membership is non-transferable.
- Members should check the condition of the materials for missing pages, missing discs or other items before leaving the library.
- Members using self-check machines should retain the checkout receipts as proof of borrowing.
- All items must be returned or renewed before the due date.
- Fines are imposed on the next working day after the due date of the item.
- All items may be returned through the 24-hour Auto Bookdrop or Book Return Bin located beside Service Point.
- Items should not be returned directly to the shelves.
- Renewals are not allowed when there are outstanding reservations.
- Please check that all materials are properly renewed as users are still liable for fines of any overdue items.
- Telephone renewals will not be accepted.
- Loans may be renewed at the Service Point, WebOPAC or self-check machines.
- Reservations can be placed for an item which is out on loan (check due date displayed). Exceptions are for items under the following collections: Reference books, Reserves (Red- Spot) items, journals and on order/ in process titles.
- Each member may reserve a maximum of 2 titles.
- You will be notified via email if the address is provided. Otherwise, you will be notified by mail, once the book is available.
- The reserved item will be held for 7 days from the date of notification
- Reservation will lapse after 7 days.
- The reserved item(s) can be collected at the Service Point or Smart Locker.
- All reserved items must be collected personally.
- All materials are subject to recall if they are urgently needed.
- A recall email or letter to the borrower initiates an early return of the item immediately or within a specified period of time.
- Overdue fines for recalled items are currently charged at $1 / day / item after the recall due date.
Lost or Damaged Items
- Staff members are liable for the loss or damage of library materials that are borrowed under their account.
- See here for the amount payable for lost or damaged items.
Loss of Cards
- Staff members must report loss of membership / staff card at Service Point immediately to prevent unauthorised use of the card.
- Members will be liable for all loans recorded under their names before receipt of the report by NIE Library.