This collection consists of ceramic works by Dr Iskandar Jalil.
About Dr Iskandar Jalil
- Singapore’s Master Potter
- Leading educator-mentor in ceramics art
- Started his art practice since his Teacher Training College (TTC) days in the early 1960s
- Enjoyed numerous accolades including the Cultural Medallion for Visual Arts in 1988 and Japanese Foreign Minister’s Commendation Award in 2014
- Conferred an Honorary Degree of Doctor of Letters (honoris causa) from the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in 2016
About his works
- His works are known for the use of one-hand techniques and bears influences of different pottery cultures across the world – especially in Japanese philosophy and aesthetics.
- Characteristics of his works are simple but strong structures with distinctly tactile and rich surfaces, often with twigs or branches as handles.
- Use of clays unique to particular locales or regions.